Thursday, June 27, 2013

Twitter Activity Reflection

Throughout the semester, Twitter was used as a tool to connect with and share viewpoints relating to, the LIS profession. To assist in integrating the cohort into the wider LIS community, several twitter activities were undertaken. These activities related to the industry and through “following” other LIS professionals and using hashtags, aimed to harness interactions within the community. I believe that because I didn’t use this tool to it’s full potential and didn’t post my activities in the designated weeks my experience using twitter as an interactive tool wasn’t as successful in this aim as I’d hoped.

Areas of improvement:
-          Along with doing the compulsory tweets I should’ve done more to share interesting and relevant websites with my followers.
-          If I had posted the activities in the weeks they were due then I would’ve had the support of my lecturer and cohort. Their tweets encouraging outsiders to interact with or discuss the topics posted, possibly would’ve increased the chances of an LISprof communicating with me through this tool.
-          If I had been more assertive and asked opinions of LISprofs regarding important industry related issues I might’ve not only achieved some sort of constructive interaction or networking but also been seen as being actively involved in the profession.

In my experience, although I didn’t encounter much interaction from industry professionals, I was able to stay up to speed with current industry issues through the links they posted and the issues they were discussing. I was also able to communicate comfortably with people my class and even more beneficially, query lecturers about important issues that had come up in class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment