Thursday, June 27, 2013

LinkedIn Profile Reflection

In order to connect with other LIS professionals and showcase my development as a potential LIS professional a LinkedIn profile was set up. This profile outlines my work and study history and can be viewed by prospective employers. As it is a representation of what I have achieved and who I am and would be viewed by people within the industry and potential employers, it was important to construct a profile that would be looked upon favourably while, I believe, maintaining some element of myself. When carrying out this process some challenges were encountered. These will be elaborated on in the following paragraphs and an overview of the experience presented at the end.

Challenges:

- Disclosure of work and education history to a wide, unknown audience: At this stage I'm not that comfortable advertising to a wide group of people all the details of my work history. This is because when apply for jobs generally this information is accessible to a select few. With LinkedIn, you're profile is able to be viewed by anyone with an account and I'm concerned that former workplaces may not want my work history available to the wider community. It is because of this that I've only provided the "bare bones" of my work history and omitted information concerning referees. However, to make full use of the profile I plan on continually updating why skill sets and outlining in detail what skills I obtained from the various workplaces I've been employed at.

- Choosing an appropriate + current photo: My current one may need some revision as I took it myself and I don't think it adequately shows my professionalism. It's a challenge figuring out how I should hold myself and considering the possible perceptions of prospective employers.

- Knowing what information to disclose: I have yet to include information on interests and hobbies as I want to ensure that what I write is appropriate, answerable and aligns with the ideals proposed in the resume modules of the career development program as these provide a terrific starting point for constructing effective CVs and work profiles. 

Conclusion – LinkedIn is great as a networking tool and it is advantageous to see what professional development other people in the industry are undertaking. I look forward to offering more information in my profile and connecting with industry professionals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment